An active Methodist congregation began at Benn’s in 1789. The Virginia Annual Conference Historical Society has verified this, and in 1964 a citation was presented to Benn’s Methodist Church in recognition of 175 years of service to God and to the people of this community.
The original congregation was a continuation of the Old St. Luke’s Church, which dates back to 1632.
Benn’s was rebuilt in 1838, again in 1888 and the present building was erected in 1924. An education wing was completed in March 1967 and the Family Life Center was completed in 1994.
In 2019, Benn’s church received an updated look by replacing its old roof with a new green metal roof that should last for decades to come.
During the COVID pandemic of 2020 the entryway steps and walkway to the Sanctuary were improved for safety and appearance.
Click images to enlarge